Oct 4 – 12, 1910

Tuesday, October 4, 1910 Stayed at Storrs Monday night, Tuesday, and Tuesday night.

Wednesday, October 5, 1910 Got down to the boat about 9:30 a.m. Put on 10 gallons gas at 15¢. Got going at 10:00 a.m. and ran to Roudont (Rondont??) Creek. Ran up the Creek and waited until the down boat had passed, then started and ran to Saugertie’s (??) Creek and waited for the up boat to pass. Then left for Catskill Creek which we reached about 4:30 p.m. Got a good place and tied up. Seems to be a very nice town.

Thursday, October 6, 1910 Waited for tide and day boat to pass. Due at 11:00 a.m. Sea very rough but at 12:00 noon it had calmed some so we made a start. Had a very nice run to Albany making it at 4:00 p.m. Tied up at the Yacht Club under railroad bridge; very noisy.

Friday, October 7, 1910 Lay at Albany all day. May was down to see us. Slept on the boat.

Saturday, October 8, 1910 26 miles today. Wanted to start at 6:00 a.m. Very heavy fog on river. Could not get going until 10:00 a.m. Ran to Troy and locked in at once. Got to Lock 3. Were held about 3/4 hour for pure cussedness. Got going and got through nicely but it is the meanest canal we have been in. Canal is all OK but men are no good. Kept on and passed Lock No. 22 and tied up for the night within 1 miles of Schenectady. May came with us as far as Lock 18. Got 10 gallons of gas at 15¢.

Sunday, October 9, 1910 Got going at 7:45. Hard to start and ran 46 miles and tied up at a sand wharf after dark. Got 10 gallons of gas at 16¢. Country nice but canal water all very dirty. Lots of floating dead things. Very tired. Lots of locks but got through pretty good all day, no hold ups. Quite cold at night and rain in showers nearly all day.

Monday, October 10, 1910 Got going at 6:45 a.m. Very cold. Lots of locks. Ropes cold and wet, very hard to handle. Ran several miles past Utica before tying up. Lay in Utica for awhile and went uptown but too cold to stay long. Lots of bridges to raise and swing. We are now on a 56-mile level. Freight trains on one side of us and trolleys on the other. Fixed pike pole tonight.

Tuesday, October 11, 1910 5 gallons gas today at 18¢. 50 gallons gas at Syracuse at 13¢.

Wednesday, October 12, 1910 Thursday 13, Friday 14, Saturday 15 and reached Tonawanda on Sunday 16th and tied up in a basin. It was rather hard work owing to the locks. Was stuck on Syracuse. In Tonawanda met Mr. (name unclear) the Big Bug of Motor Boat who presented me with a Bug. Had a nice visit. He also visited the boat and staid quite a while.

Stopped at Newark to visit Mr. Shirley, also at Rochester where Annie and Ella visited Mrs. Dowd.

(Here the log ends)