Jun 28 – Aug 1, 1910

St Anne Lock Keepers
St Anne Lock Keepers

Tuesday, June 28, 1910 Left the Cedars and ran through the Soulange and Lake St. Francis. All well. Think I hit two but am not sure. Reached Cornwall and stayed in part of the old canal tied up to an old barge. Fairly good town.

Wednesday, June 29, 1910 Left about 8:00 a.m. and after going to the Maples our clutch slipped. Stopped here to fix. Found out that a rivet had partly worked out. A man helped us out. Lay here for dinner. Then ran as far as the last lock and lay in back outside of the lock.

Thursday, June 30, 1910 Ran to Fartans Point Canal, keeping to the bays on Croils Island. At the canal we met a stiff current near the entrance but passed through it safely. We got J. J. Thompson for pilot and he took us from Farrans Point to Prescott for $7.00. We met a stiff current off Weaver’s Point getting through by taking advantage of the eddies. Tied up in a slip near the ferry slip. The trip from Farrans Point to Prescott is no trip for a greenhorn; better get a pilot. There are very stiff currents all the way and at various points it takes all you got. Bearings warm but kept going.

Friday, July 1, 1910 I went to Alexander Bay on an excursion. Saw the way and only had one hour at the bay. Annie went to Ogdensburg for mail. Laid at Prescott at night.

Saturday, July 2, 1910 Still at Prescott. Went to Ogdensburg Saturday afternoon and tied up at St. Germain’s dock. Had a very heavy gust of wind at night.

Sunday, July 3, 1910 Still at Ogdensburg. Annie not feeling well. Concluded to stay over the 4th.

Monday, July 4, 1910 At Ogdensburg. Lots of people and very warm. Laid around all day. Harry went to Prescott to see a lacrosse game.

Tuesday, July 5, 1910 At Ogdensburg. Got some supplies: potatoes (new) 90¢ a bushel. Took in 45 gallons of gas at 12¢. Independent and at 12 noon started on. Landed in Blind Bay near crossover LH and put her nose on the bank stern to anchor. May and Harry got 1 fair pickerel. Lots of skeeters. Borrowed $20 of Harry. Paid my insurance at Ogdensburg.

Wednesday, July 6, 1910 At Blind Bay. Trolled in the a.m. and got nothing. After dinner went up back and saw thousands of fish, all kinds, lots of (word unclear). Dug some worms. Hot, scarce skeeters. Annie washed in the evening. We tried the fish but only got a few. Skeeters eat ’em alive. I smoked but they sat on the pipe and laughed and only bit the harder. Annie kicked all night.

Thursday, July 7, 1910 Rain today, drizzle. Caught some rock bass. Laid around all day. Put a line out at night and caught 1 (looks like “pout”) and 6 digfish. 1 large turtle was on line but got away.

Friday, July 8, 1910 Started for Alexandria Bay. Reached there and tied up at a public dock at upper end of town. Took in the sights. Read mail from home. A sailboat with power from Erie, Pa. laid back of us at night.

Saturday, July 9, 1910 Went out fishing with a W. B. Clark. Trolling, Caught nix. Had dinner there. Warm weather. Harry got a pickerel. Went on the Castand at night on searchlight trip among the islands. A fairyland, sure. All night decorations done by hanging and setting out colored lanterns.

July 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 1910 All at Alexandria Bay. Made several trips down the river. Caught some fish. Met and took out little Eva (Gleason). She caught 2 pickerel, one small perch. They are said to be the best of pickerel bait. I took in the Castand ramble on July 16 (word unclear).

Sunday, July 17-Monday, July 25, 1910 Stayed around Alexandria Bay and on 23rd ran in company with Hilliards up to Thousand Island Park. Staid there Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Went up the Canadian Channel through Fiddler Elbow. Came back to the Bay on Tuesday. On Thursday we ran back to Back Bay and staid there. Got 1 good turtle and not much else. Was here Sunday, 31st. Took a long walk.

Monday, August 1, 1910 Left Blind Bay to hunt Frazers Island. Clutch raised a racket so turned back and put into the bay again. After fixing it, ran to pilot island and staid for dinner. After dinner went back to Alexandria Bay. Found that (name unclear, looks like Guy) had just left for Point Vivian. They came back at night.